Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Minor Set Back - I Hurt My Ankle

I am sad to report that I had a minor set back last week.  I injured my ankle.  I knew I should have rested it but I pushed myself last Monday and really caused my ankle to become inflamed and irritated.  It hurt so badly that I had to limp to walk.  The pain has been in the back near my Achilles tendon and radiating out laterally in the back.  It doesn't hurt to do dorsiflexion or plantarflexion (going up on toes), but it really hurts when I go through the motions of a stride.  When my heel initially strikes there is no pain but as my foot rolls through mid stance the pain is bad.  The ball of the foot is okay, no pain.



I have been resting my ankle the best that I can.  I ice it for 15 minutes at a time in the evenings.  I have been wearing a mild compression ankle brace during the day.  It is slowly feeling better.

On Easter Sunday (5 days after I stopped running), I had to wear high heels.  I was wondering if I would be able to walk in them.  To my amazement, I had no pain what so ever.  My ankle felt better in the heels than when I wear athletic shoes or go barefoot.  The theory is that since the ball of my foot is bearing all of my weight and the heel of the show is supporting it, the pressure is taken off of the injured area.  No, I am not going to walk around in heels, lol.

It is feeling much better, so I will continue to abstain from running.

0 comments: