Tuesday, April 10, 2012

W.O.D. Killer Circuit Bootcamp Workout

So, I am still resting my ankle and I am trying to rest my body, but I hat not working out.  We had a great lab at school yesterday.  We did an awesome killer bootcamp style circuit workout that hit all parts of the body.  I was careful not to put any stress on my ankle (injured from running).  If an exercise required that I jump or hop on my right foot then I just did the work on my left foot instead.  I can tell you that my leg leg/foot got a good workout, lol.  After this workout my ankle actually felt warmed up and a bit better.

Killer Barbell Bootcamp Workout!

WARM UP:

5 minutes Cardio: 
Normally I would run on a treadmill for 5 minutes but with resting my ankle I decided to try a rowing machine instead.  I also worked a bit on a stationary cycle.  It worked out well.

Prone ISO Hold - 30 seconds, 10 seconds rest x 2 rounds.

Push Up - Scapular Protraction / Retraction - Hold 30 seconds - alternating 2 seconds each  of protraction and retraction.

Reverse Crunches - 1 minute as many reps slow and controlled, spine rolling up and down 1 vertebrae at a time.

2 Legged Jump to single leg land and hold - 1 minute - steady, balanced, as many reps as you can maintaining stability. (Photo shows take off, but landing on 1 foot to balance.)

Lateral 2 Legged Jump to single leg land and hold - Same as above but jumping to the side. 1 minute - steady, balanced, as many reps as you can maintaining stability.

CIRCUIT 1 -  No rest, do not put the barbell down at all (unless you have to), throughout entire circuit.
Barbell Burpee to Press x 30
(This is a squat thrust with a push up, jump up and pull barbell up into a press, jump back down into burpee).
Barbell Bent Over Rows x 30

Barbell Squat Press x 30

Barbell Squats  x 30

Barbell Ab Crunches (don't let elbows touch the ground) x 30
(I have never seen this exercise before.  You lay on the ground with the barbell in a lowered chest press position and crunch up and down without letting your elbows touch the floor.  Ouch!

Rest for a few minutes.


CIRCUIT 2:

Dumbbell Scapular Depression Dip Hold - 30 seconds hold
(This is like a bench dip, pictured but you hold onto dumbbells on the floor and push yourself up as high as you can , depressing your scapulae and hold)

Single Shoulder Barbell Squat Right x 30

Single Arm Barbell Row Right x 30
(as pictured but we had to stand in a bent over row position.  This can be dangerous as the barbell's gravity can be off center.  Often times this will be performed with only 1 plate on the end the the other end without the plate is on the floor.  My classmate Chrystian ended up smacking himself in the jaw with the plate of the barbell as he lifted it up.  He was really hurting after that.)


Single Shoulder Barbell Squat Left x 30
Single Arm Barbell Row Left x 30

Rest for a few minutes.

CIRCUIT 3
Overhead Barbell Scapular Elevation - 30 seconds hold
(push barbell up as high as you can and press arms inward)

Bent Over Scapular Protraction & Retraction - Hold 30 seconds, alternating 2 seconds each of protraction and retraction.




Dumbbell Scapular Depression Dip Hold - 30 seconds hold
For more of a challenge, elevate feet on a step or bench.
(This is like a bench dip, pictured but you hold onto dumbbells on the floor and push yourself up as high as you can , depressing your scapulae and hold)

Push Up - Scapular Protraction / Retraction - Hold 30 seconds - alternating 2 seconds each of protraction and retraction.
For more of a challenge, have feet elevated on a step or bench.


Rest for a few minutes.
Cooldown - You earned it!

COOLDOWN:

5 minutes Cardio followed by stretching and SMR.



0 comments: