Friday, February 24, 2012

Started my Couch 2- 5k Program today!

FACT:
I have always HATED running.  No secret, I would tell everyone....but I think deep down inside it was really that I had NO idea how to run.  I have always been into fitness but every time I would try running my shins would hurt or my knees got sore.  Again, I really had no idea how to run.
WAKE UP CALL:
Last Wednesday in my Personal Fitness Training class our teacher had us run what was supposed to be just over 2 miles distance , 4, half mile laps in about 20 minutes.  I was worried because i was the only one in the class who had never run before.  I managed to make it through 2 laps / 1 mile without stopping.  I had to run/walk the other laps.  My lungs were on fire.  I felt good that I was able to run 1 mile without stopping, but I think my instructor was disappointed and when I told him I had never run before instead of being encouraging he told me "yes, I know, it shows!!!!!" (thanks a lot). 
REALITY CHECK:
I went  home that night feeling like the biggest failure, wondering how was I going to be a good role model for my clients once I get certified as a trainer?  I talked with a friend about how I felt.  it was nice to be encouraged.  I realized that I am NOT a quitter.  I CAN do this.

GAME PLAN:
I started looking into a program called "Couch to 5k", that helps people like me who have never run before to get up and start moving.  I am physically fit  but my body is not used to running.  I had been planning to sign up for a Couch 2 - 5k in my area but their classes are on a school night and I am way too tired after class to go running.

I went online and found out that there are websites that offer free Couch to 5k courses.  I was ecstatic.  This website offers links to C2-5k courses as well as Podcasts to download that will cue you when to run and walk with music, etc.  Awesome.
http://www.c25k.com/

This is the original and best site I found to get you started:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I downloaded my Podcasts here:
http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html
http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html

The above links are mixes by DJ Beatsmith and he offers lots of free music for running, workouts, etc.
http://www.djbeatsmith.com/

I am going to try these as well:
http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm

ACTION:
I did it!  I went out this morning and ran with the "week 1, day 1" podcast from DJ Beatsmith. 
5 minutes stretching/foam rolling
5 minutes: Brisk walking cued by DJ Beatsmith
20 minutes: 60 seconds running, 90 seconds brisk walking
I continued with:
7 minutes brisk walking
90 seconds running, 2 minutes brisk walking for 2 rounds
5 minutes cool down
5 minutes stretching.

I Loved it.  I was able to do it comfortably.  When the session was over I actually started week 2 and did 2 of the intervals by the time I got back to my home.  I feel good and inspired by trying something new.

The music was also very new and fresh to me.  The first 5 minutes of brisk walking were amazing.  My body just fell into the beat of the music and continued to to so for the rest of the intervals.

0 comments: