Sunday, March 25, 2012

Zucchini Hash Browns - Stay on Track with Jorge Cruise

Whether it's Atkins or Jorge Cruise or just plain simple and clean eating, these little mounds of zucchini goodness will be a welcome treat. If you have cravings for potatoes or starchy things then these "hash browns" made from shredded zucchini will help to conquer those cravings and keep your carb intake down as well!
Zucchini Hash Browns
(From a recipe by Tina T.)


INGREDIENTS
  • 2 medium eggs
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 dash pepper
  • 1 dash salt
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1  1/2 cups shredded zucchini
DIRECTIONS
  1. Heat oil in skillet.
  2. Mix together zucchini, slightly beaten eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
  3. Drop by spoonfuls into the hot skillet.
  4. After browning on one side flip and brown the other side.
  5. Note: you can substitute egg whites to lower calorie, cholesterol, and fat counts. (1 egg white is about 3 Tbs)
  6. You can also add a bit of shredded onion to the mix if you want them to be more like a potato latke

2 comments:

Doris said...

Hi Gina,

Oh my gosh, those look soooo yummilicious! I want to try that this week. Have you checked out "I Breathe . . . I'm Hungry's" blog? She is a food blogger and started low carb in January and she has some amazing recipes. Her link is in my blog under my Recipe Sites tab or something like that.

She has amazing photos and the food is really good. I've made some of her stuff. She is creative (like you) and inventive.

You can also make little muffins from these, couldn't you, and pop in the oven? I'm not even hungry and just reading your simple recipe makes me salivate!

I've now lost 18 lbs and almost into a size 12 (from a size 16 8.5 weeks ago). My bodyfat is about 25% now (from 33%). This low carb thing is easier with taking out the grains & starches than when I still had them in. Today I'm at 199.2. Yay that I'm finally below 200.

How is your bodyfat? Weight? You're into Week 6? I'm really loving this way of eating and not missing the grains & starches. Are you having any cravings? I'm not, at least not for anything grainy or starchy.

This way of eating, even when I'm some super lazy, has been easy. I'm learning how to love chocolate now. heehee . . . I know you love chocolate, so I'm joining you here.

How are you feeling? I hope you're completely well!

Hugs,
Doris

Doris said...

Hi Gina,

I finally tried this recipe and it's so easy to make and absolutely delicious. I did these in a non-stick pan, so it really wasn't necessary to add oil, for those looking for a lower fat version.

Thanks for the recipe, Gina!

Hugs,
Doris