Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Week 3, Day 1 - Couch 2 5K Program

For some reason I was nervous about the week 3 run this morning.  I think some of the discussions we had in my Personal Fitness Trainer class about the body's energy systems put a bit of fear in me. 
 
I decided I would eat a few calories of carbs & proteins (there was some sugar in there) to give me that boost that I would need.  I also made sure to complete a good stretch to help me loosen up before the run.

I am still a bit sore from yesterday's "Eccentric" workout in my class.  Yes, you read that right...eccentric, not concentric.  It was such an odd way to work out but I have to say it really fatigued my muscles.  We worked total body and finished with Eccentric Core exercises and finally a much needed stretch.



This is how it went:

Warm up: 5 - 10 minutes Static Stretching:
  • Hip Flexors
  • Quads
  • Calves
  • Adductors (inner thighs)
Podcast - Week 3 - Day 1:
  • 5 minutes brisk walking
  • 90 seconds running
  • 90 seconds brisk walking
  • 3:00 minutes running
  • 3:00 minutes brisk walk
  • 90 seconds running
  • 90 seconds brisk walking
  • 3:00 minutes running
  • 3:00 minutes brisk walk
  • 5:00 minutes brisk walk
I decided to double the workout again and cut the last, 5 minute cool down walk, to only 3 minutes and then repeated the intervals again:
  • 90 seconds running
  • 90 seconds brisk walking
  • 3:00 minutes running
  • 3:00 minutes brisk walking
  • 90 seconds running
  • 90 seconds brisk walking
  • 3:00 minutes running
  • 3:00 minutes brisk walking
  • 5 minutes brisk walking (cool down)
I was actually amazed that I was able to run for 3 minutes. (Sounds silly right?) I could feel my body falling into the rhythm of the run.  I just paced myself, kept my breathing steady and enjoyed the music on my Ipod.  I am confident that next week when we run for 5 minutes and then later for 8 minutes that I will be able to do this. 

Cool Down: 5 minutes Static Stretching:
  • Hip Flexors
  • Quads
  • Calves
  • Adductors (inner thighs)
I feel good today.  Mission accomplished!

0 comments: