Saturday, March 31, 2012

Week 6, Day 3 - Couch to 5K Running Program

Today is another long run.  Well, not long in the real sense of the word, but long for me. 

The weather is nice and overcast with a bit of a sprinkle in the air.  I had played with he thought of running on my mom's treadmill but she keeps her house very hot so I decided to take my chances outside.  A little drizzle won't kill me!  I am running on the Westchester Parkway.
Today is the big 22 minute run - 2 1/4 miles!

Warm up: 5 - 10 minutes Static Stretching:
  • Hip Flexors
  • Quads
  • Calves
  • Adductors (inner thighs)
Podcast - Week 6 - Day 3:
  • 5:00 minutes brisk walking
  • 22:00 minutes running (Suz's Podcast had a 25 minute run)
  • 10:00 minutes brisk walk - cool down
I did the whole circuit one time through. I was fine for the first 18 minutes.  Then I could feel my legs starting to get a little mushy.  For some reason Suz's podcast had this as a 25 minute run when it should have been a 22 minute run.  I decided I would go as long as I could.  When I hit the 22 minute mark I went an extra 30 seconds and then speed walked for 30 seconds to help my legs recover a bit and then fell back into running for the extra 2 minutes.  I know next week there are a series of 3, 25 minute runs and I know I can do it now.  I never thought I would get to the point where I could actually run.   I felt pretty good after this run.  I spent a very long time walking it off afterwards since I was so far away from my car.  I could really feel my muscles twitching afterward.

I finished with a nice stretch:

COOL DOWN - Stretch
  • Hip Flexors
  • Calves (Gastrocnemius)
  • Hamstrings
  • Quads

0 comments: